Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

The Long Skinny One

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings The Long Skinny One

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

One of my hog-houses is permanently occupied by what I believe is a young female which came to my garden last year courtesy of the local Hedgehog Rescue for release.

This one seems to have no regard for the advice that hogs shouldn’t be out in daylight.

The straw indicating movements through the front door is usually triggered several times throughout the day, and sometimes I come across her just outside.
    She will remain still for a little while and when she realises I’m watching her, she’ll scurry back inside.

To the left of the entrance is a small patch which she seems to be using as a latrine, and I realise I have now been trained to keep it clean of her little ‘presents’.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vZr3P8VoBtwMor8TQBHZRk_4eTkzfoZe/view?usp=sharing

My other hogs are not so attached to their lodgings, and (like the foxes that visit) are happy to leave their presents all over the lawn.

I’ve also several times seen her in the presence of a very small hog, and wonder if this may have been a very early baby that has been sharing her accommodation.

Maybe it’s her baby hog that’s she with, might explain why she been out during the day – extra hungry and thirsty maybe if she’s feeding the wee one ?

I noticed that nobody has been in or out of the hog-house for a day or so.

I carefully lifted the lid and was slightly relieved that there was no one home.

That gave me a chance to clean the house (my other hog-houses were cleaned earlier when the hibernating hogs woke and went elsewhere).

In the bottom, beneath the bedding was a large tic (now deceased!)

Some boiling water to get rid of any parasite eggs completed the cleansing, and once dried the house went back with a handful of clean straw.

Meanwhile a nearby hog-house that wasn’t being used is now occupied so maybe the long skinny one has gone there.

maybe its belong to her

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog