Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

The tidiness trap

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings The tidiness trap

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Hi, I’ve just joined Hedgehog St. after finding a good fat hedgepig in my tiny front garden on a very Lego sort of village council estate. It was out in daylight, I weighed it, found it was a healthy 600g and gave it a good feed of catfood before releasing a few doors away in a safer hedgerow with good access to fields and gardens. I called a hedgehog rescue for advice and did as they told me, and we realised that the hog had very likely been disturbed by garden tidying. A neighbour had been cleaning all the detritus out from under some bushes for the last two days and Pig had been flushed out. I saw a dead one killed on the road nearby a few days later but then saw another live hog a few days later crossing the road in front of me safely as I drove home late at night. Wish I knew more about the best way to raise hedgehog welfare awareness with neighbours. Good news – Mr Hedgepig became Species No. 161 on my 2020 wildlife survey of my garden. Also on the list, 11 species of hoverfly, a common lizard, sparrowhawk, bats and 13 spp. of butterfly.

Nic

Hi LittledeanAdvice

Welcome to the Forum!

The best thing you can do to help the hogs is to have hog highways and encourage all your neighbours to do likewise. That way they have less reason to venture onto the roads with all the hazards that entails.

https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/help-hedgehogs/link-your-garden/

Also try to encourage all your neighbours to garden in a wildlife friendly way (Being wildlife friendly in the garden, doesn’t necessarily mean untidy) and make sure that there is always water available all day every day. Check out under ‘Help Hedgehogs’, above, for more ideas.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog