Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

They like playing with their food bowl cover

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings They like playing with their food bowl cover

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

jan

Hi Nic, has your hedgehog come back yet? Ralph has been really entertaining, but didn’t go into his nest last night and hasn’t been in the garden yet tonight. He continues with his very methodical ablutions, its a nightly ritual. We had a different visitor last night, it took a while to work out how to get into the feeding station, we put a couple of baffles in it because we have a cat going in, any way, he/she fathomed it out eventually. We have watched the footage back each morning, and have discovered he goes backwards and forwards to his house during the course of the night, we were a bit surprised for some reason we didn’t think he would do that

Nic

Hi Jan

There are one or two hogs still visiting, but not two of the girls who are usually ‘regulars’. Hopefully it is hoglet related – a bit early still – but maybe. Always a bit of a worry. One girl went missing last year and never reappeared.

The hogs can be amazingly resourceful getting into places! But that is the problem with the traps which the Petition was about. It is difficult to see how anyone could devise a means of keeping them out whilst still allowing access to rats.

I have two hog houses, which are just used for visitors to the feeding area. They often go in for a nap and then come out and have another chomp. More often in earlier Spring and in the Autumn. I also like to think that they can use them as refuge if, as has happened in the past, a dog gets into my garden.

Glad to hear Ralph is keeping you entertained. Have you decided he is definitely a Ralph or might he still be Ralphina!?

jan

Hi Nic, we still don’t know what Ralph is really we can’t tell. We have found a hole in the fence with fresh poo there, I was beginning to worry he couldn’t get out but clearly he can. After scrutinizing the camera footage and realizing he hadn’t come home my husband had a quick look in the hog house. Inside there was an absolutely beautifully made nest,so neat. We left it alone but we know he isn’t in it at the moment. The last time we saw him two nights ago now the light faced hog visited so perhaps they are on conjugal duties? We are having an issue still with a visiting cat who is squeezing its selfish to the feeding box. We have a cat ourselves and love them but this one is being a pain. Any ideas how to keep them away? I’m pleased you still have visitors, wonder where your main one is getting to.?? I hope it returns.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog