Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

They're back!

Home Forums Champions’ chat They're back!

• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Avatar photoNic.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Good morning. My first post here so if I make a mistake in posting please let me know. I moved into my house almost two years ago and fortunately it backs onto a park. My garden has a big privet hedge and a laurel hedge. One of my friends has had hedgehogs in her garden for years so suggested that I put food out to see if they would visit my garden. Hey presto – it worked! I now have lots of hedgehogs visiting and sometimes have three in the garden all at the same time. I made some feeding stations out of big plastic boxes and they eat the lot! I watch their overnight antics on my CCTV the next day and write down their movements in a hog log. I have two hog boxes and at the moment there’s one fast asleep in one of them. ( He’s slept in it for four nights this week.) They come into the garden from all angles – under the hedges and from under the hole I made in the fence. I’m so glad I moved here. My last house had no garden and not a tree in sight. Happy days!

Nic

Hi zanzibar

Welcome to the Forum!

Lovely to have all those hedgehogs – sounds as if you have well and truly got the bug! It sounds a lovely place for them there, too. It’s so important that they have access to lots of gardens so they can get plenty of natural food, as well as the supplementary food we offer them. Hedges and holes in fences sounds ideal. More will be beginning to come out of hibernation soon, so you may find you get even more!

Good luck. I hope you continue to enjoy the hedgehogs visits.

Thank you for the welcome,Nic. Yes, I’ve definitely got the bug. I’ve really missed them over the winter months so I was overjoyed to see their return. Last summer was magical. I was out in the garden watching them until 2am some nights. It’s wildlife heaven here!

Nic

Sounds brilliant!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog