Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Thirsty hog.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Thirsty hog.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Good morning all.
    I have a hog thats been visiting my garden is eating well and drinking and appears healthy, but the trail cam has picked it up drinking water for 3 minutes flat and longer on occasions, is this the norm? Thanks in advance.

Nic

Hi Kb70

Well, hogs do drink quite a bit, especially if they are eating dry food. But does your camera take 3 minute long clips, or is it from a series of clips. If the latter, it could be taking short breaks in between. But they don’t drink all that quickly – tiny little mouths – so may not be taking in as much water, as at first appears.

It takes 3 minute long clips. It looks fine but wasnt sure if it was a sign of an underlying issue, I am new to hog watching and so I am learning their behaviour bit by bit. Thanks for your reply.

They drink a lot. They will also sit on the waterbowl drinking slowly for long periods of time so I wouldn’t worry

Awe thank you for the reassurance.

My hedgehogs drink quite a lot, and they snack for ages each time they go into the feeding station. But when I check what they’ve actually eaten, it’s just a small amount of dried food, then after that, most of them take a drink out of the water bowl, and they take ages doing that too, well over a minute – but they only drink a small amount each time.

They do like to take their time.

Thanks Hedgie lover. Seems all is well, just me being an overprotective hedgie mum.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog