Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Thoughts on feeding foxes around hedgehogs

Home Forums Champions’ chat Thoughts on feeding foxes around hedgehogs

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hi, we have been feeding the local hogs for a few months now and have been setting a camera trap over the last week to watch their comings and goings. We have at least 2 regulars visiting and also apparently the local fox.

I’ve read that for the most part these species can co-exist but attacks do happen, with that in mind is there a general consensus on whether it is safer for the hogs to intentionally leave food out for the foxes too so they have an easy, less spiky meal to eat?

At the moment we leave hedgehog biscuits and cat food in two feeders which the fox cannot access and sprinkle calci worms over the lawn and beds and occasionally hedgehog biscuits too which the fox helps mop up.

I could stop sprinkling the worms and biscuits but given that the fox can smell the food in the feeders i’m not sure that would deter it. I’m all for helping out the foxes too but not at the expense of the hogs if I can help it.

Thanks

Nick

p.s. is there a way to search the forums? the search bar seems to just lead to articles.

Nic

Hi Claus84

If you are going to feed a fox and there are hogs around, I would feed the fox in a different part of the garden. Some foxes don’t bother hogs much, but others kill them, so I would never completely trust them to feed side by side, as you sometimes see in photos.

Re. Searching the Forum – I understand there may be some plans afoot, but meanwhile it’s as you found.

Hi Nic,

I’m happy to hide all of the food away so the fox can’t get it but I’m more concerned that it would likely still turn up anyway and without an easy meal may target the hogs instead.

Just curious how other people approach these situations? I’d hate to do anything to inadvertently endanger the hogs.

Thanks

Nick

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog