Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

three legged friend is back

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings three legged friend is back

• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by stef.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Hedgehogs back in North Wiltshire. I picked up 2 on the camera last night. I was very happy to see my three legged hog had survived the winter. I had to take him to oak and furrows last year after he injured his leg which had to he amputated. He disappeared in mid September so I was so pleased to see him again. I also had a four legged one visit. It looks like one was in the recycling box because the straw had been pushed out.

Nic

Hi Pauline

Really pleased to hear your three-legged hog is back – and the other one, of course. But it’s nice to know that three legged ones can and do survive. Out of interest, which leg is missing – front or back?

Some veterinary rescues and clinics wont re-release three legged hogs as they consider their subsequent vulnerability to be too high. Its nice to hear that they can and do adapt under these circumstances sometimes and can continue a good value of life. I think this is only possible with back leg loss though – not front leg loss?

Our hog has a back leg missing. I think the reason we were allowed to have him back was because it would be looked after and monitored. I always have food and water stations for it to access and hedgehog houses to shelter in. I just hope it does not get in to any more trouble. No hogs around last night just moggies. Although they do hang round the feeding stations they do not try to get in to them they are more concerned in hunting mice.

One of the problems for hind leg amputees is that they cannot scratch on that side, so it’s an idea just to keep an eye out in case if gets too many ticks there if you are monitoring.
    Although if it’s healthy it may have found a way around this problem by itself

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog