Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Three of my four are back

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Three of my four are back

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Last night two of my hogs were fighting over the food even though there is loads left out – they have started to come really early as well when they were first back average time was 10.30pm staying until about 12.30 – over the last week they have been coming no later than 9pm and staying very late – at least one keeps running going down the garden to the hog house – they were that early last night I had to get the cat in while they ate – they didn’t seem bothered that I came out and called him or that he ran in past them – usually my cats are tucked up asleep when they visit – water seems to be going really quickly too they are drinking a full bowl between them nightly not sure if it is because it is dry – the weather is supposed to go cold next week here so not sure if they are feeding up because of this

Nic

Hi Bernie

The hogs here seem to have been a bit aggressive here too. Until this year, I only really saw them biffing each other along (aggressive enough), but this year I have seen several full blown fights, when they actually look as if they are shaking each other – quite shocking.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the hog there is running down the garden to see if there are any other hogs around – male or female. There seems to be quite a lot of running around here too. Some of them dash in, have a quick bite to eat and dash off again.

Dee

Hi folks,
    My hogs dashing to feeding stations tonight……think they were running to avoid hail stones !!!…..it’s cold here tonight. Not noticed any aggression, just a speed to a feed.

Hi All

Cold here too – my hogs were early and I went to put food out and they were waiting for me to put the food down – did so and closed the conservatory door looked out of the window and they were all there eating together – no fighting just feeding – got up the other morning and a hog was still on the plate at 5 am – I think the garden has been adopted for all night feeding sessions now – even the foxes visit! The cold snap seems to have inspired peace and more interest in food – hail stones here too – looking forward to better weather shortly and baby hogs

Haha – I now have 5 hogs – I need a bigger plate! Or more of course.

and a lot more food, that’s wonderful news – think the words got out about the all night diner!

I’ve been busy my five hogs are doing fine – one has started coming before it gets dark I was concerned until I realise he has moved in the hog house at the bottom of the garden so he only has a short distance to sashey to the food bowl – one of my other is huge big weight gain over the past few weeks – I’m hoping it means babies soon!

Nic

Hi Bernie

Good to hear the hogs are doing well.

At this time of year, I find that some of the hogs, especially females, are inclined to turn up earlier. I was caught out last night when one of the females arrived, half an hour earlier than usual, whilst I was still in the middle of hedgehog preparations. She hid in the undergrowth until the food was out and then came out and started eating as normal.

I, too, am hoping there may be some hoglets around.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog