Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Tick on our hog

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Tick on our hog

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hello
    We are very new to having hedgehogs only having had our house a week. But we already have a resident one. He/she has slept in it during the day for the last 2 days and wanders round the garden at night. This morning I noticed there’s a tick on our hog. I know with cats you’re not supposed to pull them off. Will it just fall off eventually, or do we need to try and do something?
    Thanks

One tic will not do the hedgehog any harm and will fall off once it has had its fill. But if there are lots, they need to be dealt with. Can get tic removers online or from vets.

Willpar.

Nic

Hi Karen

The only thing about the tick, is when it drops off, it’s possible it will lay eggs. So if the hog is still in your box at that stage, as soon as the hog moves out (I mean completely moved out, not just out for the night), I would give the box a good clean out with boiling water (don’t use chemicals) so that any parasite eggs are killed. Otherwise the next hog who goes in there might pick up some young ticks. It’s a good idea to also check the feeding box for any young ticks – the tick might drop off in there.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog