Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Tick Problems

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Tick Problems

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hi Everyone
    Our rescue centres in Warwickshire have had a number of hogs coming in this spring with heavy tick burdens. Have others had this experience? We generally use a combination of manual tick removal and a few drops of Ivomec on their back, although I think this may be contentious. What treatments do other carers use?
    Thanks

Hi, I physically remove them with tweezers and then cover the area with vetericyn to prevent infection.

Fingers crossed, I haven’t yet seen a hog with a tick yet this year.

Hi.
    I have attended the Vale wildlife rehabilitation course (last year). Very new to rescue. However, I have been removing ticks from animals since I was 9 yrs old, over 40 years! I remove them manually and also use Vetericyn. I also drop the tics into Vodka. When I was young they were put into methylated spirits, but with the strong sense of smell I assumed the hedgies wouldn’t like it! And, yes their does seem to be an increase this year – but oddly enough less worms, so I can deal with that!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog