Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Ticks

Home Forums Hedgehog tales Ticks

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Is it usual to find ticks amongst the hay bedding Used by an adult hedgehog. The box was empty so I took the opportunity to change the hay and found three fat ticks and a couple of thinner ones under the hay. The hedgehogs seem quite well.

Nic

Hi Marmite

Yes, that sounds quite normal. The ticks sometimes drop off into bedding. The ticks are also likely to lay eggs, so when changing bedding, etc. it’s best to clean the boxes out with boiling water to kill any exteral parasite eggs. (don’t use chemicals – not good for the hogs). Otherwise the eggs can hatch out and reinfest any hedgehog which decides to sleep there.

Hello ,
    I agree with nick that it is perfectly normal for that to happen once the tick has had its meal it will drop off and will live in the hogs bedding. Ticks wait in grass or leaves and they stretch out there front legs waiting to grip on to the host animal it is definitely a good idea to give it a good clean because they can live for a year without being on a host !
    good luck – prickles preservation society :).

I had a poorly one last Autumn it was covered in 42 ticks which I took off and rushed it to a hedgehog rescue. It was obviously seriously ill to be overwhelmed by them unfortunately it didn’t make it. Nasty things.

Nic

Hi Hoglet

Yes, 42 is an excessive number of ticks and it’s quite possible that the hog was already unwell and that’s why it ended up with such heavy tick burden. Definitely a good idea to get help for a hog who has an excessive number of ticks. Sorry to hear the hog didn’t survive.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog