Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Ticks and cats

Home Forums Champions’ chat Ticks and cats

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Not sure if this is the right area to post this question. We have made our hog hole and for the last month have had at least 3 different hogs visit our garden and we love watching them.
    I have 2 cats, one of which loves to play in the wild flower area we have which is also a favourite for the hedgehogs, could they pass on ticks? The cats are fully treated for fleas and ticks every month

Nic

Hi KatieTB

I imagine the cats could pick up ticks from the same places hedgehogs pick them up from. So if there are ticks around the cats could pick them up from vegetation in the same way that hedgehogs can. But if your cats are fully treated for ticks, hopefully they should be ok. But, if you know there are ticks in the area, I would be inclined to check the cats for ticks regularly, even if they have been treated. Also make sure you don’t get any on yourself. I tend to either tuck trousers into socks, or wear wellies when walking through long grass where ticks might be present.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog