Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Ticks in boxes

Home Forums Champions’ chat Ticks in boxes

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

I clean my hog boxes twice a year with boiling water and always seem to find a heavy burden of ticks waiting for a host. 2 years ago I had to take a poor hog to the local rescue as it’s face was totally covered in them (although possibly he had an underlying issue but he did come back healthy for release after a week or two). I’ve just cleaned out a box I knew was empty and found loads of ticks again (shiver, shiver!). Is it better to leave the hogs to find natural nest sites If available or are they likely to be just as infested and at least the boxes get cleaned out? Thanks for any advice

Nic

Hi madfoxlady

I know the feeling. I’ve had lots of ticks in hog boxes before – does tend to make your flesh crawl a bit!

I would be inclined to do as you just have done and if you are certain a hog box is empty to clean out in between the recommended times as well. Hogs tend to move nest in the wild fairly often – probably to keep parasite infestations to a minimum. Hog boxes, in effect, are only structures within which a hog can make it’s nest. But it isn’t only sufficient food which hogs might find hard to come by in the wild, but also sufficient nesting sites, so hog houses can be welcome structures. But it may also be that tick populations are growing, in general, due to warmer temperatures and some areas may be more prone to them than others.

It’s also a good idea to clean out feeding boxes with boiling water from time to time (assuming they are made of wood or other material which can take it). Ticks can drop off hogs when they are feeding and lay eggs and parasite eggs can get into the cracks and may be able to survive general every day type cleaning out.

Glad to hear you got that hog safely back home after it’s tick ordeal.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog