Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Ticks in food bowl!

Home Forums Champions’ chat Ticks in food bowl!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

A couple of days ago I went to check the food bowl in the feeding box I have and it was empty of food, but had 7 live ticks crawling round in it! I carefully disposed of them, brushed out the box (couldn’t see any in there?) and replace the bowl with a fresh one full of fresh food. Just went to check again and there is some food left but another 9 ticks! Most seemed dead or almost dead this time at least. Anyone else had this problem!?

Plenty of slugs, but I don’t know about ticks. I wouldn’t know what a tick looks like, but I feel like I should find out.

Nic

Hi Skincla76

I know it’s a bit horrid, but ticks do sometimes fall off hogs into food bowls. But although you couldn’t see any other ticks, there may be either tiny ticks (they are not easy to see when very young), or tick eggs in the cracks in the feeding box.

If it’s made of wood, what you really need to do is clean the feeding box out with boiling water as well as just brushing it. (Don’t be tempted to use any chemicals). Ticks do tend to fall off hogs when they reach a certain size, but seem to still be able to lay eggs. If tick or flea eggs aren’t killed using boiling water, the box can become a source of further infestation of hogs. It’s a good idea to clean feeding boxes with boiling water fairly regularly (even if you haven’t seen any ticks) to avoid that happening.

The only good thing is that the hog is better off without all those ticks you found!

Good luck, I hope you manage to get rid of all the ticks.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog