Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

To clean or not to clean

Home Forums Champions’ chat To clean or not to clean

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Around late April/early May I had a hog move into one of my boxes and build a nest, but he/she has now moved on. (No activity over the past 3-4 weeks). The box is filled with nesting material. Would welcome thoughts on whether I should leave the nest be or whether to clear out to encourage others. Thank you.

Nic

Hi Dubi

If you’re certain the hog box is empty, then I would clean it out – not least to get rid of any potential parasites and their eggs. It’s best to use boiling water which should kill any parasite eggs hidden in the cracks and joints.

You will need to dispose of the old ‘bedding’ and it’s best to just put a handful of fresh bedding in the box and leave more in the surrounding area.

More information: https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/cleaning-out-boxes/

Good luck – hope you get a new tenant in the newly cleaned hog house.

Thanks Nic! I’ll do exactly that. And yes, quite sure about the status over the last few weeks (have a trail cam monitoring it).

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog