Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

To Feed or Not to Feed

Home Forums Champions’ chat To Feed or Not to Feed

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Just installed a trail camera, pointing at my hedgehog feeding station and used for the first time last night. On reviewing footage recorded there appeared to be a rat headed for the food. It certainly walked past the camera but it was hard to see whether it went into the feeding station or come out. Next, our hedgehog appeared and wandered up and down beside our shed but again it was hard to make out whether he/she went into the feeding station, however, all the dry food put out yesterday evening had gone and it looked like the water bowl had been used. Today I have repositioned the camera in the hope of getting a clearer picture. Obviously if the rat is actually a rat then I’m concerned. It seems too early in the year to stop leaving food out. I would welcome any suggestions or advice please.

We are also having a rat problem. This morning after looking at our camera footage we have removed feeding station and hh house as rat spent a lot of time in there last night. Hh left a couple of days ago so thankfully has another nesting site. How long do people recommend no food no house situation.

So did you solve the rat problem ?? We also have rhem but they only started coming last night, tonight we’ve put a rat trap out. I’m sorry but i can not stand the things.

Nic

Hi Thunderpants

In case it did turn out to be a rat, you could try scattering the food, ie. on a lawn. That way the hog has a chance of getting some of it.

There is a rat related topic here: https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/forums/topic/help-ive-got-rats/ with some other links. You might find some of it useful.

Good luck!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog