Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Too many to keep track of!

Home Forums Hedgehog tales Too many to keep track of!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Last night at 11:25pm as I was putting out fresh water and some cat biscuits in a homemade hedgehog box I looked over to the front of my garden and noticed a hedgehog walking through the grass around the border of my garden. I just presumed that this was Horris the hedgehog and that he’s a male that has started visiting my garden so I watched from a far but then I noticed another hog which was a lot smaller than Horris and so I crept about in shelter where they couldn’t see me and so I didn’t frighten them or interfere to investigate quietly and they weren’t fighting or anything. I’ve read that males don’t take part in raising young and I was 99.9% sure that Horris was a boy so this lead me to confusion and now I’m not sure if maybe Horris is a girl And could the small hog I saw be a Hoglet of hers or did they just not notice eachother, or are they family that have reunited for another year.I have seen them all over my front garden going to different places and I’m not actually sure if there’s just two, I don’t know how many there are I have no idea, Horris is much bigger than the small hog. Does anybody have any ideas of what they could be or if they have any relation, could the small hog be a hoglet? Please let me know
    Much appreciated

Nic

Hi Ellie2016

It’s unlikely that a hoglet would still be with an adult at this time of year. (although it’s just possible that a male and female both didn’t hibernate and managed to produce some very early hoglets) Hoglets tend to arrive in June/July and even when they are first left to their own devices are still comparatively tiny. It’s difficult to know what you mean by small (how long is a piece of string!) but last year’s hoglets could still be smaller than an adult, especially a mature male. But it could also have been a smaller female. Hogs can vary in size quite a bit.

But you are right that female hogs are solely responsible for bringing up the hoglets. The male is unlikely to even recognise his offspring, although male hogs are often quite tolerant of hoglets in general when they’re small.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog