Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Two in a bed

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Two in a bed

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hi I’m new to this forum
    I’ve had a hedgehog garden for a few years had the odd visitor but last year had one hibernate, movement started in feb this year with a lot of coming and going, this morning I looked at my camera and there are two of them together first thought it was mum and baby but is it not too early for them ? .
    Then I thought maybe male and female getting it together ? but then they both got in the same house ? I thought they were solitary animals .
    Any thoughts on this

Hi Biker Jo
    Last year I had a resident in one of my houses for much of the summer. For about a week another hog moved in and the two hogs shared the same house, apparently quite happily, until the newcomer moved on. They were definitely not mating but, I suppose, could have been related. Just another example of the difficulty in predicting hog behaviour!

Hi-
    This has happened numerous times to me.
    First time was a young female and a big male. He eventually moved on……and again recently. Big amputee male hibernated and came out of hibernation and started wandering. Another male turned up (regular for a few years) and they shared for awhile. The amputee then went off wandering but comes back about once a week and they both just share again.
    Interestingly they both contributed to making the nest.
    Have fun with them.

We’ve regularly had two staying over in our hog house for the last couple of weeks. Don’t know if it’s always the same two (we have at least three visiting the garden) or what their sexes are but it definitely doesn’t seem to be a case of ‘mate and move on’ here.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog