Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Two's company

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Two's company

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

So I’m delighted that after purchasing a lovely hedgehog house for the first time this year and stuffing it with hay, we now have a pair of hedgehogs cuddling up inside. They both come out early evening and basically feed all night going back into their lavish bungalow for a break now and then. They love their steady supply of hedgehog food and nuts. I bought a great wildlife camera which is brilliant for capturing their nocturnal activities, when the hubby went to retrieve the camera this morning at 6.30am one of them was still feeding. They’ll be the size of an Armadillo at this rate.

Great! Please don’t give them nuts as this can cause brittle bone disease. Hedgehogs need food with a phosphor – calcium rate of 1;1 or 1:2. Nuts and a lot of the cat/dog foods also are poor on this rate. We used to give them minced meat 50% with added pulverised eggshell (one tip of a knife for each 100 gram) mixed with 50% cat food for all the nutrions. Have fun with the camera!

Nic

Hi Bonnie71

Well done feeding the hogs. Sounds as if they might be youngsters if they’re sharing the hog house. I agree with LalaBlanca about the nuts. I would cut them out and just stick to the hog food, which hopefully should have the correct balance of phosphorous and calcium.

Ideally, in the long term, the best thing for the hogs is if we all try to improve the habitat in our gardens and link them, of course, so that the hogs can find natural food for themselves without us having to supplement it. Linking gardens has the added benefit that hogs don’t have to cross roads so often, which has to be a good thing.

Good luck with the hogs there, they might go off to hibernate soon, so enjoy watching your camera images, until then.

Thanks for the info folks, I’ll stop giving them nuts with their hog food. I live on a wildlife area/natural park with lots of wild life in so these little ones come and go through the night under my back door and around my garden searching for food . Infact just saw one carrying leaves into the hedgehog house at 7.30am this morning.

Awesome sight Bonnie and nice start of the morning! Good you stop giving nuts. We made them two luxurieus hedgehog houses but we’re not sure if they use it. I won’t take a peak anxious to disturb them.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog