Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Ultrasonic Cat Repellent

Home Forums Champions’ chat Ultrasonic Cat Repellent

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Avatar photoNic.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

After putting out some dry hedgehog food, I see we have 5 different cats visiting the garden. (Previously was aware of the neighbours 2 using the garden as a toilet). 2 of them eating some of the hedgehog food. So today’s project is to make a feeding station. I was also going to buy a couple of Ultrasonic Battery Operated Motion Activated Cat Repellents; my question would these also deter the hedgehogs or can they be set so hedgehogs aren’t bothered by them. I want to encourage the hedgehogs but deter the cats.

Nic

Hi bga84

Like you, I never knew there were so many cats around – that was until I got night cams. Some of the cats here can get into just about anything, but interestingly they aren’t so keen on visiting when there are more hogs around.

Personally I would not use one of those cat deterrants with hogs around. Some people will tell you (possibly including those selling one to you) that they don’t bother hogs, but in the same way as rat deterrants they can’t really test them on hogs, so don’t really know. At one time I was using an ultrasonic rat detterant just during the day, but one evening it was accidentally still out when a hog arrived. I saw it visibly flinch when it went past. Needless to say it was hastily removed. So I wouldn’t want to risk using any ultrasonic deterrant with hogs around. Being night animals, they rely a lot on their senses of hearing and smell.

Hopefully your feeding station will deter the cats. A simple sheet of perspex type stuff on soil filled 2 or 3 litre flower pots will deter most cats, if it’s big enough and has the advantage that you can still watch the hogs. As said, there are sometimes one or two cats who are more determined than others!

Good luck and happy hog watching.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog