Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Unfortunately my one didn’t make it

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Unfortunately my one didn’t make it

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

I’m not sure if I’m on the right forum page but wanted to tell you that I have a heavy heart this morning.
    Early yesterday morning around 4.30am there was a hedgehog all curled up on the grass in my back garden, near to the food and water I leave out every night.
    I have a bird feeding station on the patio next to it and there were lots of Magpies and Crows around eating food! My husband and I scared off the birds and waited nearly 45 minutes on the hog to uncurl, it didn’t so we lifted it and put it in one of the houses we have, we gave it water and then left it. Last night we waited on it coming out of the house but never did so at 11pm my husband checked to see if it was still in the house, it was but it was dead! It had turned around facing the opposite direction and drank all of the water we left. We think there was sick or poo on the grass where we found it which was a yellow colour! Im feeling so sad today and wondering why it died and if there was anything else we could have done to save it. By the way it was a big one .
    Thank you.

Sad for you, I hate it when one dies, You did your best, I buried the last one and planted a Camelia above… When the flowers come out I think of my old pal.

The only way you would ever find out is to take it to the vets for tests on poison or whatever, bit of an expense with no reward bar your own curiosity and wondering what might’ve harmed it.

Sad. I can empathise.

Where I live it’s the roads that have done them in and I think away for good. Spotted one in April and it was sensible, it was on the road quiet at the time, but stuck to the curb like glue. Then last week saw one killed close to where it had been living, near a park. Run over. Prob same one, not many left round here.

Hopefully you can get more back into your garden though.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog