Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Unusual time to see hedgehog.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Unusual time to see hedgehog.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

We have had a regular night time visitor to our feeder for several months. However, recently the hedgehog stopped coming. We didn’t see it, or signs of its visit for several days and we thought the worst. Anyway, yesterday morning, in broad daylight, it reappeared and started eating the suet pellets that we’d put out for the birds.
    I replenished the food in our hedgehog feeder last night and it had gone this morning.
    We were wondering if this hedgehog might be a female and has changed her habit having had a litter.
    Any thoughts anyone?

Nic

Hi Eynsham Red

Normally if a hog is out in the open during daylight it rings alarm bells. It’s possible it could be a nursing mother, but also possible that it could be an unwell hog. It might just be that it was really hungry and now that it’s finding food might not be back out during the day, but if it is, the best thing to do is contact your nearest hog carer. You can find your nearest carer by ringing BHPS on 01584 890801. You can then explain to them in more detail what’s happening and take their advice.

Hopefully you are already providing water as well, but if not, it’s really important to leave water available all day every day.

Good luck.

Thank you Nic,

Visits returned to normal for a few days, but it’s now missed a couple of nights again so we’re not really sure how the hog is.

We do have plenty of water along side the feeder though.

Many thanks.

EPB

I have a hedgehog in my garden at the moment (10 am) looking for food. I have given it some cat biscuits and water, it has been around since about 7am. It is eating the biscuits and seems ok. Is it alright?

Nic

Hi EPB

Best to contact your nearest carer. You can get contact details from BHPS on 01584 890801 Explain the situation to them and take their advice. It might help to put the hog in a safe space in the meantime (high sided box with hay/straw/hand towel) with food and water in case the hog needs to go in to be checked over.

EPB

Thanks for the reply. It was later asleep on my lawn so I took it to Leicestershire wildlife rescue and hopefully it’s doing well.

Nic

Well done, EPB. Fingers crossed for the hog.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog