Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Using previously occupied nesting box

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Using previously occupied nesting box

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

I cleaned my boxes earlier in the year when empty. If used since, but empty, will another hedgehog be happy enough to reuse for hibernation? I know they are building outside the box so I won’t be touching or moving anything close by until April. Curious.

Nic

Hi Kassie

It’s possible another hog will use a previously used box for hibernating in. It might depend a bit as to how many other suitable sites there are for hibernation. But hogs will nest in all sorts of places, including in boxes intended for feeding. I sometimes think they like to be unpredictable! I had one here one year who did that – started building the nest on top of a bowl partly full with food! Luckily I managed to get the bowl out the next day when the hog wasn’t there and the building work was still at the early stages.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog