Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Vanishing Hedgehogs…??

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Vanishing Hedgehogs…??

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

We have had Hedgehogs visiting for around 20 years and in the last 18 months I’ve been filming them year round.

We have two Hedgehog Houses plus enclosed Feeding Station in the back garden, two additional outside water bowls and in the front garden an open Feeding Station and another water bowl.

We have Hedgehog Holes in both sides of the fence in the back garden and the front garden has multiple (natural) Hedgehog access points.

For the last couple of months we’ve had a resident female in one of the Hedgehog Houses and additionally get four or five other visiting Hogs coming in throughout the night for multiple feeding visits from sunset until sunrise.

On the evening of June 21st all Hedgie activity abruptly stopped and investigation of the occupied Hedgehog House showed the resident female had also upped sticks and left and since then we have had zero Hedgehogs visiting.

I’m really concerned about this and wondering about Ultrasonic Cat Repellents and all sorts of other worrying thoughts.

I’ve heard similar stories from around the country, can anyone offer any advice as we want our Hedgehogs back desperately????

Have you had a badger take up residence locally?

@stef Apologies for the late reply.

No Badgers, we are in a town center, plus they have no access into the garden.

Earlier this summer I could hardly keep up with the feeding as 5 or 6 hogs were visiting each night. Now I am lucky to see one a night and it’s sometimes none, although we did have a youngster caught on camera this week one night, first time we have seen a small hog this year. I have also been concerned that they are not visiting much but have put this down to food being available elsewhere. Our garden has wild areas on two sides, one side being the railway with a large area of uncultivated trackside. So maybe the hogs don’t need us so much in the summer. Keep monitoring though as I am hoping they’ll be back in greater numbers before hibernation.

I am also hoping that the lack of hedgehog sightings in our garden/food station is down to more natural food around.
    I had one visitor last night who came for food and water.
    I have water bowls everywhere just in case there is a thirsty little hog in need.
    Lets hope all the regulars appear soon.

I hadn’t seen a hedgehog in my garden for a few years when one turned up in 2015. In 2016, 2017 & 2018 I had good numbers visitng for food and also shelter (I have 2 hog houses).

2019 sightings started earlier this year and all seemed fine from March through to May then in June visits and sightings dropped off and, sadly, I have had no hog visitors at all during July.

I know there may be several reasons for this but, after continous 4 years of sightings from March to November, for the visits to suddenely stop is very worrying.

Also worrying is there have been no sightings in the adjacent allotments as far as I know which also has a hog population.

I’m hoping they will return later in the year as they get ready for hibernation. and keeping my fingers crossed as I’m missing my spikey friends.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog