Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Vet or carer?

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Vet or carer?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Hi.
    My resident hedgehog hasn’t hibernated and I have footage of him last night being quite sneezy.
    Maybe lungworm?
    Should I get him to our vet- It is the same vet our local carer uses.
    OR See if the carer has room for him.
    Thanks

Phone your carer and ask them

Thanks Stef.
    I rang the carer this morning and on his advice took hoggie to the vet. He was all curled up in hedgehog house and I feel awful disturbing him.
    The vet now has him and we will call for an update tomorrow.
    Hopefully he will be ok and we will bring him back home and put him back into his house.

Our gorgeous hedgehog- Cyclops- is back in his house. The vets weren’t sure if he had lungworm or not but he had a course of antibiotics and is back. We still don’t know if it is a boy or girl as he/she wouldn’t stay unrolled for long enough. We do know he weighs in 850 grams so all good if he does decide to hibernate and is tick free. His funny eye is also OK.
    The camera is out and we hope he will stick around as the 2 others we have helped in the past have promptly left us for pastures new.
    Fingers crossed!

Nic

Hi simbo65G

Really pleased to hear that cyclops is ok and back home. You say his funny eye is ok. Does that mean they think he can see through it, or just that there is no infection?

Hope all goes well tonight and he returns to his normal habits. Good luck.

Hi Nic,
    His eye has no infection. They think he may have been born with it or perhaps already been to a vet. It certainly hasn’t affected his appetite. They advised keeping an eye on his weight!
    He is soooooooo gorgeous!!!

Cyclops has been back for food and water and power naps but for the moment is sleeping elsewhere during the day. Booo Hoooo!
    Pleased he is well though!

Nic

Hi simbo65

Really good news that Cyclops came back for food, water and naps. It isn’t unusual for them to change where they sleep – parasite prevention apart from anything else. As you say the main thing is he’s well and sounds like he doesn’t hold his visit to the vet against you!

Ask your carer, if it is possible else try some vet or another carer.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog