Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Water for hedgehogs

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Water for hedgehogs

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

I have not seen a hedgehog in my safe back garden yet this year, but fitted wild life camera in my front garden 14&15.4.21. Quite worried to see a hedgehog spend 3 hours back & forth both nights, so very near the road.
    I put water out on the 2nd night & it had 3 long drinks from it. Important to put water out for them as we’ve had no rain for some while now in Layer de la Haye.

Nic

You are absolutely right henryherbert it’s really important to offer water to hogs. They are more likely to be able to find some wild food than find water during dry spells.

It’s best to leave water available for hogs all day every day. Wide but shallow plant saucers are ideal.

Agree, once you start using night cameras regularly you realise just how much time they spend drinking.
    I put a big plant saucer out which then doubles as a bird bath, the blackbirds love a good soak and the hogs drink regularly from it.

To follow up on this, 2 foxes & 2 different hogs are coming nightly for the food & drink. They are sometimes side by side, although the hog will just tuck its head in. I’m trying to encourage the hogs to feed further from the road, & then will put the food in a box with a small entrance as I don’t really want to encourage the foxes. I would never have known this if I hadn’t put the camera out there.
    Also saw a hog in my back garden last night. It has not been going in the feeder so far. Unfortunately, there is no way through between the back and front garden.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog