Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Water is vital for our spiky friends

Home Forums Champions’ chat Water is vital for our spiky friends

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

I’ve been watching my garden camera & for the last few weeks it’s very obvious that water is in short supply for our garden friends, not just hogs but birds & other visitors. We’ve gone from torrential rain & flooding to weeks of very dry weather, making worms difficult for hogs to get at as the ground is very dry.

The time spent at the ceramic cat dish (less likely to be toppled over) I fill with clean water each night for the hogs is increasing, the food I put out is dry but even so I’ve never seen them drinking for such extended periods as they are now.

Whatever the reason I think it’s worth making the point to put clean water out each night whether you feed them or not as there are few natural sources of water, round here there are probably none.

Don’t forget the birds either & put a shallow container of water out for them every day, the bathing scenes you’ll get as a result make it well worth the effort!

Nic

Hi Annie

Totally agree. Water is vitally important. It’s probably easier for the hogs to find food of some description in the wild, than water.

It’s a good idea for everyone to leave water accessible for the hogs all day every day all through the year – as you said, whether you feed hogs or not. But also even if you don’t kow that there are any hogs around. The birds will welcome it, if nothing else.

Yes, same here I’ve never seen so much water drinking compared to eating, and they know when it’s fresh water too! I put out hog food to supplement their diet but clean water is imho more important and can be hard to come by even when it’s been raining a lot.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog