Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Weed Killer

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Weed Killer

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Hi

This is my second post as we have only had a hedgehog visit for the past 3 weeks or so.

However, we last saw our hedgehog bounding down the path to come and get his food at 9.00 o’clock while it was still very light. Since then we have not seen him/her.

The reason for my post is that we are thinking the worst as we have a field backing on to our property and the farmer/nursery man has taken to kill some weeds with weed killer for about 100 yds outside our boundary. This is about 3 foot wide. We don’t know why he is doing this but……….

Since he has done this we have not seen our hog. Could the hog have been affected by the weed killer if he walked to through it to get to our garden. This has to be an industrial weed killer and not resolva!!! Any advice would be helpful as I said at the beginning we are new to this and would be very sad annoyed if this could have caused him/her not be be using our garden.

We continue to put food out and have a camera to see if he arrives.

Thanks in advance.

Doug

Nic

Hi Doug

Any chemical is not ideal with hogs around, but I wouldn’t have thought weedkiller would have had that rapid an effect.

It might be coincidence because hogs do tend to sometimes ‘disappear’ for various reasons, leading to much worrying for all us hog lovers. Hopefully the hog will return.

It’s a good idea to keep leaving out some food – and especially water.

Hi Doug
    Yes, chemicals are very dangerous, we should be careful not to expose the pet to chemicals. It greatly affects your pet’s health.

Nic

The problem is ReichertCaleb, that we are not talking about pets. This is Forum dealing with wild hedgehogs (erinaceus europaeus) so that we have no control over where they go. They are wild animals.

hi Nic

Ty for your comments. We wait and see if he rerurns.

As of today no sign.

Doug

Hi Nic

Hes returned!!!

8 days away and then spends about an hour in the garden.

We did fear the worst. Not very good parents!!!

Doug

Nic

Hi Doug

That’s such good news! Really pleased for you.

They give us a lot of pleasure but cause us a lot of worry!

My Backyard has grown more weeds than the grass itself. Any expert advice please help? Thanks.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog