Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

What did you do as a Champion for Hedgehog Awareness Week?

Home Forums Champions’ chat What did you do as a Champion for Hedgehog Awareness Week?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hi Folks, been busy at work but decided to sit down and do my bit as a Champion last week, inspired and enthused by the BHPS webinar on Tues 3rd May-did you attend? It was great and the information on the Hedgehog Friendly Campus campaign was very useful.
    I’ve contacted my local council green spaces team to ask about them using stickers on all their strimmers and mowers to be more hedgehog aware. Those petrol strimmers are powerful and deadly to anything that gets in their way.

Nic

Hi SeagullSuzie

Well done re. the stickers for the strimmers and mowers. You’re right strimmers/brushcutters can do a lot of damage to hogs and other small animals. I have had two hogs turn up in my garden at different times with bad strimmer injuries and always dread when I hear one starting up in the distance – in case some other poor hog finds itself in the way.

I guess people aren’t going to stop using strimmers, but if they try to use them a bit more carefully it might help. So education about that is well worthwhile.

Thanks Nic, Celeste has just posted a useful link in a separate post about strimmer use. My council have not replied to the strimmer sticker enquiry yet. They have these really fast ride on mowers too and fly around right up to the edges-I’ve never once seen them check before hand. However I’m going to go straight to the source, as the grounds team maintain two green areas near my house (one opposite) and I’ll go and have a friendly chat when they turn up and see where it takes me. It only takes one person in a team to be interested to get something done.

Nic

That’s a really good idea, SeagullSuzie. Fingers crossed one of them shows some interest. You’re right, a team-mate spreading the word might have more impact.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog