Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

What does a 500g hog look like?

Home Forums Champions’ chat What does a 500g hog look like?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Hello,
    I was wondering if anyone could suggest how big a 500g hedgehog should look.

After putting out a hog house and feeding station for the first time, I am very happy to report that two hedgehogs are living in/visiting my garden. One is quite large and looks nice and fat; the other is a little smaller. I think it still looks a decent size, but I am not sure whether to be worried about it making it through hibernation.

I don’t want to pick it up and weigh it if it is possible to avoid it, as it would surely be happier if left to go about its business, but the problem is I have no idea how to ‘guess’ its weight! Is there a size indication of what is a healthy hedgehog and what might need intervention?

Also, I’m wondering whether it hasn’t started hibernating yet because it is trying to put on some weight? The bigger hedgehog hasn’t been seen for a couple of days, so I’m wondering if he has gone to bed now.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks 🙂

Hi
    You need to pick it up and weigh it.
    Hedgehogs are surprisingly resilient about being handled. It’ll scuttle off initially but it’ll soon be back for food.
    At this time of year and with such cold weather it really is a case of do it now, please don’t wait

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog