Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

What to do next?

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings What to do next?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Hi everyone!
    Brand new hoggies hero here 😊
    For the first time Iv had a hog (or maybe more than one?) visiting outside my studio flat every night for the last 3 weeks and drinking the birds water dish.
    I was so thrilled I made a feeding station and every night he was back eating everything.
    Tonight I am devastated to find a dead hedgehog in the road outside my flat 😫😫😫
    My question is do I continue to put out food or am I just putting hoggies in the path of danger? I don’t have a garden or any fenced space so the feeder is just outside my flat.
    Thank you in advance!

Nic

Hi Icklewag

I was really sad to hear about the poor hog. It must have been a horrible shock for you.

It is difficult to answer your question. I can’t really picture what it’s like. You say there is no garden, but there is enough space for a water dish for the birds. Is the place where you have the feeding station in a public place and how near the road, etc.? Is there a grassed or ‘garden’ area or is it hard standing. From the little information you have given, it doesn’t sound a particularly good place to encourage hogs, but as I’ve said it’s difficult to say – I might be picturing it completely wrong. Presumably the bird water is on the ground, so hogs could still access it, if they are around, which might be helpful for them. That alone might encourage the hogs there. It may also be that there is little in the way of suitable habitat for them in the vicinity. Normally, with this weather, I would suggest putting food out, but, as you suggest, are you putting them in harm’s way in that particular location.

I think, in the end, it is one of those things where you need to make a decision yourself, as you are the only one who understands the layout and all the pros and cons of the place. Sorry not to be much help. Sounds like you have a difficult decision to make. Good luck.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog