Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

What to feed hoglets in November

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings What to feed hoglets in November

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

We live on a North Cornwall clifftop , the South West long distance coast path runs through it, we have a very large stock fenced garden, two thirds of it wild and we don’t use chemicals. An adult with two small young recently started to visit our kitchen patio every night and eat whiskas chicken cat food we put out for them. We think they are living under a formium bush amongst some old wooden railway sleepers, directly in front of our house. I’ve removed the plastic rentokil rat poison bait box from the formium. Is chicken whiskas the right food for hedgehogs and why aren’t they hibernating.?

Any cat or small dog food is fine.

Hedgehogs don’t need to hibernate and if this is a mum with babies it’s unlikely she will too early. It’s also been quite warm
    It’s worth monitoring though in case the mum hibernates and leaves the youngsters. They may need taking into care if they cannot cope. If you get a chance to weigh them then the minimum weight needed to survive hibernation is 450g. But really the best thing you can do is continue to put out food and water

Hi: I also live in N Cornwall but a coastal village. Last year the food I put out for the visiting hedgehogs (I saw 2 of them) was eaten until around Xmas day.
    They seemed to disappear then (hibernating?) but I kept putting a dish of hedgehog dry biscuits out every evening under cover for a few months though it remained uneaten. Towards the end of Feb/early March crumbs were being left in the dishes and I took this as a sign they’d come out for a snack or were up and about again.
    I’ve noticed cats aren’t keen on dry hedgie biscuits.
    Regarding the rat boxes if they are put on high walls or shed roofs it’s possible the rats can get to them but hedgehogs can’t.
    Hope this helps.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog