Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

what to put on floor of enclosure?

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog what to put on floor of enclosure?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Hi,

I have taken in an underweight hedgehog to ‘overwinter’. I’ve had her looked over by our lovely local hedgehog rescue lady and she is happy for us to do this. Just a little question, at the moment she is in an long plastic underbed type of crate and we’ve linked it to second crate with a wide pipe to put some enrichment type of stuff in in the other crate. Both crates have plenty of holes drilled in it etc. At the moment I am putting fresh layers of newspaper on the floor and changing it regularly. This seems to work well, but is this ok? I’d be interested to know what you all find works best for the floors and keeps the hogs happy. Thanks 🙂

Nic

Hi Angelar

Sorry for the delay in replying. I was hoping someone with more experience of hogs in care would answer. This isn’t really my area of knowledge and it might depend where you are keeping the hog box/es, as well.

Sounds like you have created a nice place for the hog. Many are pretty much confined to one container, I believe, when being over-wintered. Often probably a space problem with large numbers of hedgehogs needing to be cared for. But a hog shut in is probably not going to be very happy about it even it does have a little bit more space. Newspaper on the floor sounds fine to me. I assume you have an area that the hog can burrow under if it wants to – I think some people use hand towels. Although some will burrow under sheets of newspaper, towels are probably nicer for them.

Maybe you could consider spending a bit of time volunteering with the person who checked the hog over, then you could see how they manage things.

You also need to know when you can release the hog. You might find this link useful:

https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/guidance-on-releasing-rehabilitated-hedgehogs/

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog