Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

When is it time to worry?

Home Forums Champions’ chat When is it time to worry?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

I know I had three hogs go into hibernation in my three houses, mum and two hoglets. I have been putting food out for them but nothing has been taken over the winter, not my the hogs anyway, I have one very rotund mouse who just about fits under one of the hog houses now!!

When is it time to worry that I haven’t seen any of them yet. I am on the south coast and I know they could have woken and wandered off during the winter but I was hoping not all three of them would have disappeared.

I guess I don’t check the hog houses out until April but I am worried by the lack of sightings or food being taken.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Hi Jackietb
    I’m relieved to read your post as it is the same situation here. Other posters are reporting seeing hogs again and food being taken but I haven’t had any signs in my garden yet so a bit anxious for them.
    I’ve put hoggie biscuits out undercover since my last sighting in December and have found a pair of blackbirds come every day for them and really love hoggie biscuits, I’m sure they think it’s their treat – but that is all that is eating them!
    I’m in the south-west and have wet and windy but mild winters so hoped for a sighting by now.
    I treated myself to a wildlife camera at Xmas but unfortunately it has a fault and doesn’t work so just me checking with a torch and maybe I missed them?
    Fingers crossed you see some sign soon.

Have two visiting here in Devon. Although last night, there was one with several markings i have not seen before. So could be three. I do not mark the hedgehogs that come in for a feed.

Hi Jackie,
    I wouldn’t worry its still early. They are probably tucked up somewhere, they’ll find you when they’re ready

Nic

Hi Jackietb

I wouldn’t worry too much yet, especially if you are talking about a female. In the normal course of events, it would be mostly males that are back so far. The females tend to go into hibernation a fair bit later than the males and so also come out later.

Thanks all. Thinking about it they were really late going into hibernation, I didn’t think they were going to. Mum went in before the hoglets so I guess she might be out first.

I have three out at the moment (as far as I can tell), two of which hibernated and one that didn’t. From the way they’re all fighting, and from markings I noticed last year on the two that have come out of hibernation. I think they’re all males. I normally have more than three, so it’s interesting to hear that the females emerge later.

None of them used my hedgehog houses btw. I don’t know why I bother ….. 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog