Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

When to stop feeding

Home Forums Champions’ chat When to stop feeding

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Hi need some advice. Been feeding a hedgehog all Summer with tinned chicken cat food and water melon. He comes out each night around the same time and scoffs the lot. Not sure when to stop leaving food as hibernation time is almost upon us, will leaving food encourage him to keep coming out when he should be hibernating ?

Nic

Hi linda

Leaving food out will not encourage the hedgehog not to hibernate. I usually keep leaving food out for about a week or so after I have seen the last hedgehog. Depending on the weather and other factors, some hedgehogs, especially some females who have had later hoglets as well as some hoglets themselves, don’t disappear to hibernate until into December. There are no hard and fast rules. Occasionally a hedgehog will decide not to hibernate, but it is the exception rather than the rule and does not seem to be dependent on whether or not you are still feeding. I had one here last year, but his Mother and sibling disappeared to hibernate, despite the food still being available.

I would be inclined to cut the water melon out from your feeding regime. It must be expensive and does not add anything nutritionally to what the cat food provides.

Good luck with the hedgehog. I hope it has a successful hibernation, when the time comes, and returns again next year.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog