Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Where are my hedgehogs?

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Where are my hedgehogs?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

I was so excited earlier this year to be part of the “Hedgehog community”
    My family home (in Yorkshire) has always had hedgehogs, coming everynight to feed apart from when hibernating. This year for the first time in out home (of 22 years) we had a family nesting, and we lovingly observed, fed and filmed 5 hoglets which I put on discussion.
    Firstly, when the babies matured, we never saw them in our garden?
    Now Mum, who has been a visitor every 2/3 days has not come at all for 6 days – the Caciworms and hog food untouched. What has happened?
    Heather

Nic

Hi Heather

How lovely that you had hoglets in your garden. Sorry to hear that they aren’t visiting at the moment. When hoglets get a bit bigger they start exploring further afield. Some may return, but others may find new ranges of their own – especially any males. But just as those hoglets may have dispersed, other hoglets may turn up from somewhere else.

There are all sorts of reasons why Mother hog may not be visiting as much as usual. She may be distancing herself from her young, possibly having another litter, just visiting somewhere else in her range, etc. Don’t give up on her. I had a hog here once who I didn’t see for a year and then she suddenly turned up again! I would continue to leave some food out for now.

The hogs here who all disappeared for 2 or 3 weeks have recently started visiting again. There’s no way of knowing what they’ve been up to! I sometimes think they like to keep us guessing!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog