Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Where have my hedgehogs gone

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Where have my hedgehogs gone

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

I have had 4 hedgehogs in my garden which I have been feeding every evening, they turn up at the same time and come back regularly for a “top up”. However, about 4 weeks ago they stopped coming, I continued to put food out but it was never eaten and I have not seen them since. I know they are still around as my neighbours have seen them in their gardens. My garden is a haven for them as I have quite a large area which is very overgrown and gives them plenty of shelter. I also have a hogitat but don’t think it has ever been used. Could somebody tell me whether they do this disappearing act and then come back. I have stopped leaving food out for them but am wondering if I should start putting some out again to build them up for their hibernation.

Nic

Hi bunnymaj

Sorry to hear the hogs have stopped visiting. I would keep putting out some food at this time of year, with hibernation coming up – as long as it is not mealworms, sunflower hearts or peanuts. Cat/kitten biscuits are quite handy, if you don’t know whether the hogs are going to visit or not, as you don’t have to chuck it all out every day if they don’t visit. If they are still in the area, they could come back. But some of them might be hibernating already and you might have to wait until after hibernation now.

Hi bunnymaj
    The same has happened in my garden too.
    I have had lots of Hedgehogs frequenting my garden since May & then i am guessing they had their babies either in my garden or very close by , as for a few weeks there were hoglets also , feeding along side the adults & then since the middle of August i have no sightings of any.
    I feel quite sad as not to see them & like yourself i have the ideal habitat & shelter for them , i hope they have all survived & that like Nic say’s possibly have gone into hibernation elsewhere or are foraging elsewhere.
    I did think it was still quite warm for them to have gone into hibernation but i guess if the body clock says its time then who am i to correct.
    I am still putting out food just in case & I hope they return in the spring as do yours.
    In the meantime the mice are having a feast on the cat biscuits i leave.!!

I had up to three hedgehogs visiting my garden, seen on the trail cam mostly. I haven’t seen any since about mid August and it may have coincided with the harvest time though I hope there isn’t a connection there. I still put food out because the foxes eat it anyway.

We used to see hedgehogs regularly, but rarely in recent years. Their decline appears to coincide with the growth of the badger population in the area.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog