Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Where is my hedgehog?

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Where is my hedgehog?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hi, I have been feeding a hedgehog every night for most of the summer. During September I bought him a house and placed some hay in it. The hedgehog dragged more hay from a supply I left out for him, and dry leaves into the house and slept in it every night for several weeks. He seemed delighted with it. We then went away for a few days, but left him ample food and water. When we came back, we filmed him eating in the garden, but he did not return to the house, and seems to have abandoned it. We believe it’s empty, snd we haven’t seen him eating for a few nights now. I assume he’s hibernated elsewhere, but why? Have we done something wrong? I’ve left some hedgehog food and water out just in case he comes back, but can’t work out why he abandoned his nest. Any thoughts? Thanks

Nic

Hi Pigfan

Don’t worry – you haven’t done anything wrong. Hogs will usually build a different nest for hibernating than the one they have been sleeping in over-day. So he may have gone to hibernate elsewhere. You are very lucky that a hog used your box at all so soon after you got it. Some hogs take years before they accept a hog house! They do tend to move nests during hibernation time, so you never know, your house may come in handy then. Otherwise, it will offer a hog the chance of nesting place next year, which is good.

Although you said you believed it was empty. So I suppose there is a slight chance that a hog is in there hibernating?

Thanks Nic, that’s very helpful and reassuring.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog