Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

White scats

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog White scats

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

A couple of times I have noticed white coloured poo, in one case the scat changed from normal to white half way along. Any ideas on what might be causing this as I can’t find any references to it?

Nic

Hi YonderDave

I don’t really know, but as no-one else has replied yet, and it’s been a while, will pass on my thoughts.

Before Hedgehog Street was updated, I remember someone writing in about pale grey poos – the colour of sunflower hearts and it seems that is probably what it was. I wonder if someone nearby has been feeding the hogs with something pale, i.e. sunflower hearts or suet pellets – that sort of thing. Personally, I can’t help feeling that suet pellets are not a good idea to feed hedgehogs. Hedgehog food has got to be better for them.

Thanks Nic, you have confirmed my thoughts.

I couldn’t find a medical reason for this so my first thought was the hog(s) might have stumbled upon some bread left out for the birds by a neighbour.

However, after an attack on our fatballs by magpies and starlings the ground is covered by debris. In fact I first noticed the hogs had returned after a number of years when I saw one foraging below the fatballs, crunching the sunflower seeds and no doubt hoovering up the suet scraps.

The poo was “normal” in other respects so I don’t think this is a problem, unlike the green poo I see occasionally.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog