Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

wildlife cameras

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings wildlife cameras

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

There is a post on here about wildlife cameras starting with a good one for beginners to use for Hedgehogs retailing at £115.
    This I think is rather high for most people and will put them off buying one and they will miss out on all the fun.
    There are on Amazon many cameras at £40-60 which are good enough to see Hedgehogs and film them.
    I have a Campark T20 at £40 and it’s easy to use, takes good pics and videos and I’ve had great ones of my Hogs, Foxes, badgers, cats and birds.

Nic

Hi Maboomba66

Sounds as if you’ve been lucky with the camera you got. Many people seem get the cheaper ones to start with and find that they either don’t last very long or don’t work very well and progress onto the slightly more expensive ones. Some are lucky, like you and get one that’s o.k. It seems it’s a bit of a lottery, but I hope you continue to get interesting images from yours.

There are, of course, other places to get them – sometimes there are cheaper ones in catalogues and apparently at least one of the Supermarkets sometimes have them.

Just be aware, though, that badgers are a predator of hedgehogs (and foxes to a lesser extent), so if you have both visiting it’s best not to feed them together.

Happy hog watching.

I have one from Amazon at £40 and it caught 4 at one time pictures good have 4 now from high to low price they all work
    Mikey

Hi Maboomba66
    I have a few of the Victure HC100 from Amazon costing around £45 each they work very well set them for 1 pic and 20sec video. Also have a couple of the Dirt cheap PR100 found on Amazon and other sellers that you can pick up for £20 then buy a Micro SD for £5 and they work fine no problem though day image on the cheap one outdoors is like rose coloured glasses effect lol. So far no problems with either. Not always are the expensive ones the best. I always check out the Reviews first before buying. Best to buy some type of security lock for your cameras when putting them out on public land though. Trail Cameras are an important tool to any Wildlife photographer this your The Natural History Photographer of the year 2020 was one using a trail Camera.
    https://www.nhm.ac.uk/discover/news/2020/october/wildlife-photographer-of-the-year-2020-winning-images.html

I’ve got two Campark T20’s and I think they’re great. All the features of much more expensive cameras but for around £40. I’ve got a friend with a Campark who then also bought a Browning for close to £200 and he says there’s no difference in picture quality and only very minor differences in the features.

Hi, I’ve just joined and hope I can help with the camera problem. I have a trail camera but the trouble with those is that you can’t see what has been recorded until you look on the SD card. One of my sons kindly bought me a set of outdoor security cameras that I am using instead. They are quite expensive as there are four of them but you can buy single ones. They are called Amazon Blink and can be viewed over the internet and videos are stored on the Cloud. They are motion activated, freestanding and use batteries or can be plugged into the mains and connect with a sync module. I put the cameras slightly off the ground, just a few inches ,which means that the hogs can be examined to make sure they are healthy and as they record sound I can check breathing etc. I can also shout at any cats that are eating the hogs food when I use Live View!. They give very clear videos but the main advantage is that I can move them around the garden and can see within seconds what is happening which was a great help when I needed to catch a couple of hogs at various times which meant I could walk down the garden and pick the hogs up before they moved away. When I was using a trail camera it took me a few weeks to track down a female who had an injured back leg which she eventually had amputated and was returned to my garden but with the other cameras I quickly caught a young one that also had an injured leg but that one couldn’t be helped and the most recent are the amputee hog and one of her young ones who both have internal parasites that are being treated and hopefully will be back in their nest soon. I know these cameras are more expensive than cheaper trail cameras but the advantage of almost instant viewing is well worth it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog