Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Winter guest?

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Winter guest?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Haven’t had much to report for the past couple of years! I was disappointed that I hadn’t seen any hogs in the garden. I knew they were coming in and eating the food in my feeding box, but hadn’t used the nesting box at all. A couple of weeks ago I carefully checked this box -without much hope- and the hay in there, which had previously been trampled down, had been made into a large heap which filled the box, as if a hog were sleeping inside it. I also came across a very large hog near the box one night, trying to pretend he wasn’t there! Since then I’ve left extra hay and dead leaves in the feeding box to keep them dry, and this has disappeared, and there’s a telltale trail of it leading to the nesting box.
    I’m so pleased about this, and am hoping he will hibernate in the box, although it’s still nice to know he’s made use of it, even if it’s only for a little while.

Nic

Hi Dizzydog

That’s great news that a hog has been using your hog box. They do sometimes make nests which they don’t use, but it sounds promising for a hibernation nest. Hope it has a good hibernation.

Hi Nic.

I left a bit of plant stem across the nest box entrance last night, and when I checked this morning it had been pushed away, so at least I know it’s being visited at the moment. Keeping my fingers crossed that someone does hibernate in there.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog