Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Young hedgehog at my door tonight

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Young hedgehog at my door tonight

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Tonight I took the dog out at about 10:30pm and when we got back to the house there was a hedgehog beside the door.I weighed it,was only 306g.Our local hedgehog rescue place is full so will have to phone the SSPCA in the morning.It looks very healthy and is currently in a big box with hedgehog food,it has eaten quite a bit.Our dog loves hedgehogs and he’s fascinated by it!

Hi-
    I am not an expert but from what I have read on here he sounds quite small.
    I found this on the British Hedgehog Preservation Society website ……. “If you have found a hedgehog you are concerned about please use gardening gloves to collect it up, bring it indoors and put it in a high sided cardboard box with an old towel or fleece in the bottom for the hedgehog to hide under. Fill a hot water bottle so that when it is wrapped in a towel there is a nice gentle heat coming through and put that in the bottom of the box with the hedgehog, ensuring it has room to get off the bottle and making sure the bottle is kept warm (if allowed to go cold it will do more harm than good). Put the box somewhere quiet. Offer meaty cat or dog food and fresh water then call us as soon as possible on 01584 890 801 for further advice and the numbers of local contacts. Note that out of office hours there is an answerphone, if you have a hedgehog, please press option 1 and listen to the emergency numbers, these volunteers are not representatives of BHPS but they will give you advice and numbers of local contacts. ”

Please let us know how you get on and good luck with the little one.

Hi
    This little hedgehog will be far too small to hibernate and will need to be over wintered with a carer or rescue. It needs to be kept warm and have food and drink available at all times. Hope you get on ok. Let us know.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog