Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Young hedgehog

Home Forums Champions’ chat Young hedgehog

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Oh my, we have another young hedgehog, we’ve been taking care of three to date and they have all put on weight, but then another appeared on Saturday in the early evening/late afternoon -circa 4.30pm. We didn’t see him/her on Sunday, but today it’s back at 1.30pm and eating…should we be worried? It’s very small (just a bit bigger than my i-phone 8) …seems to be moving with a purpose and then pops into one of our hedgehog houses. It’s not too cold, but wanted to check what others thought

Thanks so much!

Update – I fed the little one and put it in a hedgehog house. Settled in okay and hoping I did the right thing for now? The little one was purposely heading to our feeding station and not injured

personally i would place a heated pad under its bed in the hedgehog house to stop it going into hibernation, young small hedgehogs need to be kept warm and not go into hibernation, then keep feeding until they reach around 550g /600g i would normally start turning the heat down at that point, they should then have enough fat reserves to last them to spring, don’t forget the water,

Nic

Hi Monkeysonj

I wasn’t sure from your post whether you meant that you had been taking care of the hedgehogs in the wild and that the hedgehog house was outside. I don’t know what size an i phone 8 is, but if you think the hedgehog is small (and it’s in the wild) then it would be a good idea to weigh it. 450g is the minimum recommended weight to survive hiberenation. If it weighs less than that, it may need help. In that case the best thing to do is to contact your local hedgehog carer/rehabilitator and take their advice. You can find your nearest one from the BHPS https://www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk/found-a-hedgehog/ and by ringing 01584 890801

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog