Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Young Hog out early evening

Home Forums Champions’ chat Young Hog out early evening

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Yesterday we had a hog looking in feeding station 5.30 pm , very mobile and fast ,found it in next doors feeding station,Put him in a box with food and water in garage till it went dark. .Released him as not injured /no fly strike.
    Today my other next door neighbour came round with small hog they had found in the house ,not injured ,don’t know how it got in as have a step ,they have a dog and kittens so assume dog took it in, will let him go later if he looks ok was chomping on his biscuits when i left .

Update little hog is ok ,put him in an old recycling box /feeding station, with bedding food and water in garage went to let him go after dark and he had climbed 7 inches out the box ,so think he might have climbed up next door neighbours small step, left food and water in garage if he’s still in there ! makes a nice change from a long drive to our local Medivets IN Liverpool s
    who take in hogs !

Nic

Hi peanutbutter

Hedgehogs are much better climbers than many people give them credit for. Sounds as if you are confident that it could have climbed to get into the house.

But if anyone ever thinks a dog has picked a hog up, it might have puncture holes, which will probably not be easily visible, so if a hog’s been picked up by a dog it should be checked out by a hog carer. Consequences of a puncture hole may not show up until later on, i.e. the hog may be behaving normally to start with, but may need some treatment.

Glad to hear this little hog is o.k. though. I’m guessing you mean hoglets? If so, you’re lucky to have them there.

Hoglet out again in daylight, we seem to have a little hoglet that comes out in daylight.we have a few hogs feeding but this one has been out earlier 6pm ,seems ok no fly strike, very mobile, put him in a safe place with food and water, didn’ t escape this time ,should i take to rescue

Nic

Hi peanutbutter

Best to ring your nearest carer – you can get contact details from BHPS 01584 890801 – explain the situation to them and take their advice.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog