What a year it’s been for hedgehogs
11th December 2018
Brrr! It’s really getting cold outside and most hedgehogs will be tucked up nice and cosy in their hibernacula or hedgehog houses, waiting out the winter.
With hedgehogs out of sight, they are most definitely not out of mind. So we wanted to look back and reflect on what Hedgehog Street has been up to this year, and what a year we’ve had! Here are some of the highlights:
- We launched the State of Britain’s Hedgehog report showing huge declines in hedgehogs across the UK and featuring over 300 media articles nationwide
- Hedgehog Awareness Week in May was a huge success with thousands of people spreading awareness of hedgehog decline and the simple ways we can help our spikey friends
- The Hedgehog Housing Census results were published, telling us just how to make the best home for hedgehogs (instructions here)
- We worked to raise awareness of hedgehog decline with hundreds of farmers and produced a free guide to help make the countryside more hedgehog-friendly
- We ranked the number of hedgehog spotters logging sightings on the BIG Hedgehog Map with Hampshire coming out on top!
And that’s not all…
We couldn’t have achieved any of this without your help and support, so thank you from all of us here at Hedgehog Street.
Have a very Merry Christmas everybody!