Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Big surprise this morning. Reply To: Big surprise this morning.

Activity quite quiet at the moment. Only seen two hoglets out at the same time, so hope the others are ok. Mum is still around so I will not intervene as this could only make things worse. Bit of upgrading the bedding going on with all involved. The nights are starting to get colder, I have added some hay over the top of the igloo house as the house itself must be full to the brim. Also put some hay and leaves just outside.

As a relative newbie to hedgehogs I am unclear at what point the hoglets will be left to their own devices, and will this mean they will be kicked out of the family home to find/build their hibernation nests. I am assuming the current family would not co-habit during the hibernation period ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-xC6UZtFRY
I have put a new wooden house about 2m away from the current home in the hope that it will become occupied by one of the hoglets if the need arises, but of course they may not be interested and choose somewhere else, which is also ok.

Hedgehog