Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Rat issues Reply To: Rat issues

Nic

Hi madfoxlady

I have just written this previously with some links in it, but it disappeared. It may reappear at some stage, so apologies if there is repetition.

Unfortunately, rats seem to be a perennial problem. Just be aware that hogs have been caught in humane rat traps. Probably the best thing I can do is direct you to other exchanges about rats, where you might find something which helps.

It may be the links, which the Forum doesn’t like at the moment, but I’ll try to give you a link which contains other links about rats – it might accept one:
https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/forums/topic/rat-probelm/

I’m not sure about the eucalyptus and peppermint oil. It might deter the hogs, as they rely on their sense of smell a lot, but I don’t recall anyone saying whether they worked or not. Although I think someone did mention mint plants.

Good luck. Hope you find something which works.

Hedgehog