Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Rat probelm

Home Forums Champions’ chat Rat probelm

• This topic has 5 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Avatar photoNic.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

We have recently had a rat move into our garden that has disturbed a hibernating hedgehog we had in our shed, much to my annoyance and probably the hedgehogs’. The hedgehog has now gone presumably somewhere rat free. I have tried to humanely catch the rat (It is against my ethics to kill it) and remove it to nearby countryside for over a couple of weeks now but have been unsuccessful. Last summer I managed to set up a hedgehog highway with a number of adjoining neighbour gardens, some neighbours were accepting of the highway others not so much. My problem is am afraid that if some neighbours find out there is a rat using the highway they may block it and lay down poisons and traps that potentially could harm unsuspecting hedgehogs out during this warmer period topping up on food. I have removed water bowls and ceased feeding the birds temporarily an attempt discourage the rat visiting. Has anyone have any ideas how to get rid of the rat? Bernard

Nic

Hi Bernard

I have just tried to send you some links, about previous rat topics, but it seems the forum is still misbehaving and refusing posts with links in. It might turn up eventually, but otherwise, the only thing I can suggest is having a look through the topics. There are at least 5 dealing with rat questions with rat or rats in the title, so you might be able to find them fairly easily.

Nic

p.s. if you search down to ‘concerned about rats’ not too far down (1 month 2 weeks ago – under Champions Chat, where we are now) you will find those links in the post I wrote there.

Thanks Nic. Will check through the forum postings.

Nic

Hi Bernard

I sympathise with your problem. One neighbour isn’t keen on hog holes, I suspect due to the occasional rat that’s been visiting – even though there were plenty of other ways it could get into the garden.

I think the best thing I can do is give you links to some previous rat topics. You might find something you can try.

Rats.
    https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/forums/topic/hedgehogs-and-rats/
    https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/forums/topic/rats-2/
    https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/forums/topic/rats-3/
    https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/forums/topic/rats-4/
    https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/forums/topic/rat-poison/

Good luck

Morning everyone,
    I have tried finding past posts on rat problems but this is the only one I could find.
    I have a tiny garden at the front of the house which I have turned (as much as possible) into a hedgehog friendly environment and I have one who started visiting us late last year.
    My problem now is a rat which comes in off the road and it is eating any food I can put out for the hedgehog before hoggie reaches us on his nightly rounds. I put out both kibble and wet food in the hope that the rat would take one or some of each and then go away but it is absolutely demolishing both bowls. It arrives early and the camera is constantly snapping away for about 30 minutes while the rat grabs as much as he can each time, runs off, and returns very quickly to fill its mouth again. I can’t express how much joy I get from seeing my lovely hoggie coming to visit and have planted as many friendly plants as I can to entice the bugs, bees, etc. but once he realises the food bowls are empty he wanders off. My only recourse seems to be to stop putting food out at all but I was wondering if there is any natural dried bug type food I could put down which the rat would not be interested in. I know I can’t put mealworms down but is there anything else at all I can get? Any help at all would be appreciated as I don’t know what else to do except stop putting food down. (I would add also that there are many places across the road where the rat could have a nest and it would only take it seconds for it to cross the road and then come back for more food.)

Nic

Hi Bellasmom

There isn’t really any dried bug type food you can use. Offering anything other than good quality meaty hog food or cat/dog food or cat/kitten biscuits is problematical because we don’t know the implications by way of potential health problems they may cause to hogs. Some rats don’t like wet cat/dog food or cat/kitten biscuits.

Is it possible for you to put the food out after the time you know the rat visits. Alternatively maybe you could sit outside (very quietly) until the hog has eaten. Rats are often more sensitive to movement/light than hogs are. So if you had a torch with you and put it on (not aimed towards the hog) the rat might be more likely to see it and leave. That sort of thing, but even a slight tap might frighten a rat and not a hog – it’s a bit of trial and error to find out what a rat will notice and a hog not.

I’m not sure whether you have read the links in my post above. There may be some other suggestions in those.

Good luck.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog