Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

3x hedgehogs x3 badgers regularly

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings 3x hedgehogs x3 badgers regularly

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Not sure you should be thanking me, it certainly was not pleasant for the lady who had sat down to watch “her” hedgehog.It does show that badgers will take them.

On a happier note my infrequent hegehog has recently started to arrive with a younger smaller hedgehog and feeeding/drinking but tonight around 21:00 a larger Hog was around in the garden then disappeared only for all three of them to appear just after 10:00, made my day.

Nic

Hi Chico_W

Not an easy thing to do, to relate these sorts of occurances, but important to do, so that people are aware – hence the thanks for letting us know. I seem to be repeatedly warning people about the possibility of that sort of thing, but an actual occurance brings it home. It must have been even more shocking in this case when it wasn’t even known badgers were around. I can only imagine how distressing it must have been for the lady – we tend to get very attached to our hog visitors.

Good to hear the numbers of hogs where you are has increased. It is lovely to have them visiting, especially when there are more than one around and you are able to watch their interactions. I hope they all continue to do well and you continue to enjoy their visits.

Badger was back last night. First time since the 7th July.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjT56oIY6Ic

Nic

Hi William

Sorry to hear you have a badger back – looks a pretty thirsty one! Disappointing as far as the hogs are concerned. Fingers crossed it was just passing through.

Hi Nic, not seen the badger since the date on the above video.
    At the moment i have two to three adults visiting, and three to four juveniles. So not a lost season after all.

Nic

Hi William

That’s great news that the badger has gone again. Lovely that you have had some youngsters there, too. I’ve got a large male setting up a hibernaton nest in one of my feedboxes. Not ideal but luckily wooden and he chose it, so I have to respect his choice! I keep cutting long grasses and leaving them in a pile for him and so far all of it has been taken in. A bit of a mess around the doorway – strands of grass, etc. leading into the box – makes it a bit obvious! Tidiness clearly not his thing!

Firstly i must say that i leave my cameras out for five whole days at a time. So this video was captured four days ago on the 6th July.
    Must say that my heart sank when i seen it. But the good news is that it has not been back since. None of the cameras have picked it up, and i leave out four at a time.
    In fact two nights ago when i went out with the food there were five hedgehogs in the garden, three adults and two juveniles.
    Will keep monitoring the situation and keep up with the food. Hopefully this is a one off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOeZNL3cMzM

Willpar.

Nic

Hi Willpar

Fingers crossed it was a one off. The hogs still being around sounds promising. I imagine they would be a bit jumpy if they could sense the badger was still around. Hope it stays a away. Good luck to the hogs.

Thank you Nic. It is the juvenile hedgehogs that i fear for the most. They may not have the skills to determine that a badger can be a predator. No doubt they will learn it in time. But some of the juveniles are quite small.
    And with the dry spell at the moment, the badger may well extend it`s range. Fingers crossed that will not happen.
    I think that at the moment there could be four to five juveniles at different sizes. But do not all come in at the same time.

Willpar.

Nic

Hi Willpar

Yes, I know what you mean – the little ones look so vulnerable. Hopefully they will quickly learn the appropriate skills. But you are lucky having so many youngsters around – hope they all stay safe.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog