Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Gatecrashers

Home Forums Champions’ chat Gatecrashers

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

The good news: our hedgehog population increased by 500% this year (ie from 1 to 5!) and they’ve seemed very healthy & active all summer.

The bad news: only one smaller hog is feeding now but a large family of brown rats has moved in and taken over, devouring the special hedgehog biscuits we usually put down.

Yes they are very cute and I wouldn’t want to harm them but, well, there are quite a lot and I don’t want any neighbours complaining. Or worse still, bringing in a ratcatcher who might harm the hogs too.

Any advice on what to do, especially as it’s late September and the hogs will surely hibernate soon?

It’s a difficult one Calunna. You could try humane traps, but if there’s really a lot of rats this would hardly dent the population. I think I remember Nic saying that rats like multiple exits, so if you know where they are nesting you could block the rat holes and that might persuade them to decamp?

Hi,
    How did you get on? I’ve seen a rat on my trail camera and, after speaking to a local rat controller, it appears poison is the most efficient and that makes me really alarmed! Did you have any other ideas?

Thx Kass

Nic

Hi Callunna

That’s so frustrating! If you do try humane traps, be aware that hogs can get caught in them, too. So they really need to be positioned where the hogs can’t reach them.

This is a link which contains other links of various rate related topics in the past. You might find something useful in there.
    https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/forums/topic/rat-probelm/

Good luck.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog